Resources for Departing Residents
It Has Been Our Pleasure to Serve You
It is our goal at The Timbers to make your move as
smooth and stress-free as possible. We have designed a simple
move-out process for our residents to help eliminate some of the
stresses that moving can cause. Follow these easy steps and always
feel free to contact your community office with any
questions or concerns throughout the process. Thank you for being a
part of The Timbers' family.
Step 1: Complete a 30 day notice to vacate form and schedule your move-out appointment. CLICK HERE to complete the Request to Initiate Notice to Vacate Form.
Step 2: View our move-out video, move-out guide and standard charge sheet for information on move-out expectations.
Step 3: Complete a final inspection with a member of your community office team.
30 Day Notice to Vacate
Residents must provide at least 30 days written notice. CLICK HERE to complete the Request to Initiate Notice to Vacate Form. Residents are encouraged to provide notice as soon as they begin planning to move, even if you do not yet have orders. In cases where your orders are dated with less than 30 days to the departure date, please contact your community office within three business days to complete the required paperwork. If a service member is not able to provide the written notice to vacate, they may appoint someone to do so with a Special Power of Attorney.
The Timbers is proud to offer a simple move-out process that eliminates the stressful “white glove” inspections of the past. The resources below define the requirements associated with clearing your home including a cleaning checklist, trash removal and recommendations on how to prepare for your final inspection. The tips provided help avoid confusion and unforeseen costs during move-out.
At your final inspection The Timbers expects that
your home is left clean throughout, including the kitchen,
bathroom(s) and garage. When a home is cleaned regularly, it should
only require a wipe down, sweep and vacuum at move-out. Normal wear
and tear are anticipated and acceptable. Residents are responsible
for all damages to their home caused by the abuse or negligence of
guests or pets. For example, small nail holes are expected normal
wear and tear, large holes are not.
If you are concerned for any reason, you may request a pre-termination inspection with a member of your community office.
Move-Out Preparation FAQs
Do I have to prime or paint walls I painted
We have established a palette of approved colors for your home. Walls of these colors do not have to be repainted upon move-out unless the paint quality is poor or there is damage to the walls. All painted walls outside of the approved palette will need to be primed prior to your final inspection. No color should show through the primed walls.
Do I have to remove home improvements I made prior to move-out?
Any home improvements that occurred during the residency (unless otherwise approved by management) must be reversed. The home must be returned in its original condition.
How do I properly dispose of household trash, bulk items and hazardous materials prior to move-out?
Household trash should be bagged and disposed of in the dumpster. If you have large items to dispose, we suggest attempting to donate anything gently used to a local thrift store. All personal items and trash must be removed from home prior to your inspection. If you have questions about trash removal, please contact your community office.
- Empty propane tanks can be taken to any propane retailer (such as Lowes).
- Any motor oil used or unused, or any automobile tires must be disposed of properly by the resident prior to move-out.
- Paint must be left out to evaporate. Empty paint cans and dried paint can be disposed of in normal household trash.
- Prior to move-out, trash cans and recycle bins must be rinsed out.
For additional disposal information please contact
your community office.
How will my BAH allotment work?
We may receive BAH for the portion of the month you did not reside in the home after move-out, because BAH is paid in full-month allotments at the end of each month. Unpaid charges or uncollected money owed is subtracted from the remaining BAH. Move outs scheduled from the 1st through 15th will have the allotment adjusted to reflect the exact amount owed. Move outs scheduled from the 16th through 31st will have full months BAH pulled and a check for any remaining refund will be mailed to the forwarding address provided.
Moving & Installation Resources
- Fort Drum Transportation Office – (315) 772-6384
- USPS Mail forwarding online
- Privatized Army Lodging Locations
- Pet Boarding
- Plan your move with move.mil
- Army PCS Move App: Apple App Store or Google Play Store
- My Ultimate PCS App
- Blue Star Families – Top 10 Ways to Save on Your Next Move
Final Inspection & Move Out Guidelines
During your final inspection, a member of the
property management team will walk the home with you to identify
any damage above normal wear and tear. Please have all
cabinet doors and drawers open to expedite the process. Don’t
forget to return house keys, mailbox keys, garage door openers (if
applicable) and provide an accurate forwarding address.
The Timbers will:
- Provide a list of charged damages and/or cleaning costs.
- Determine the need for additional estimates for repairs and replacements if needed. The Timbers reserves the right to assess charges up to two business days after the final inspection.
- Collect any money due. Please be prepared with a method of payment other than cash. If the lease holder will not be present for the final inspection, a valid Special Power of Attorney (SPOA) will be required for the individual completing the inspection. SPOA must be submitted to and reviewed by the Community Office prior to the final inspection appointment.
- Provide you with your final utility bill. All utilities are to be paid in full at move out.
When in doubt simply contact your community office for
assistance. We encourage you to ask questions and communicate with
your community office to clarify any concerns you may have.
The Timbers would like to thank you for being a valued member of our community. We wish you safe travels and the best of luck on all your future endeavors!